Sunday, July 05, 2015

A very rich and powerful businessman once owned a beautiful and rare steam train: It was
his pride and joy. One day, after a very long journey to the city packed full of his well-to do
friends and distinguished guests, his beloved steam train ground to a halt. The
businessman was deeply embarrassed by his misfortune and subsequently sought the
immediate repair of the train by several engineers from a local train yard. Unfortunately,
the engineers could not fix the problem, but knew of an old, retired engineer who might be
able to help, albeit at a hefty price.

The rich businessman was in no mood for waiting around, so he agreed to summon the
retired engineer to fix his train. Several hours past before an elderly gentleman appeared,
carrying a tool bag whilst smoking leisurely on his wooden pipe.

“Good day to you,” said the old engineer, politely tipping his hat in the direction of the
businessman. “How may I be of assistance?”

“Well, I would like you to fix my train, please. Many engineers have tried and failed. Can
you fix it?” the man replied.

“I will do my best if you agree to pay me for my work,” added the engineer.
“Of course, sir. Please hurry up. We are in a rush to get back home. We have been delayed
for hours now and must make haste. You will be paid as soon as you have fixed it,” replied
the man.

Without further instruction, the elderly engineer took his old tool bag and walked around
the train several times. After what seemed an age, he gently placed the bag on the floor
and took out a small hammer. He then continued to pace back and forth, listening intently
to the sounds made as he gently tapped the hammer along the intricate network of copper
pipes.

After several minutes of doing this, he started to tap one of the valves on the engine.
Having done this several times, the engine instantly burst into life once more as the steam
gushed through the pipes.

The businessman was ecstatic. He jumped up and down excitedly as his passengers began
to cheer. “It is fixed. Hurray! It is fixed,” he exclaimed. “How much do I owe you for
fixing my engine?”

“That will be £5,000,” replied the old engineer.

“What did you say?” shouted the man. “How on earth can you justify your price when all
you did was tap my engine with your hammer? Explain yourself, or I will pay you nothing.”

The engineer replaced his hammer and then wrote something on the back of an old
tobacco paper before handing it to the businessman.

The man looked at it and smiled. “I do beg your pardon, sir. Please forgive me. I will have
my assistant pay you at once,” he replied.

The note read…“For tapping with my hammer £1. For knowing where to tap £4,999.”

No comments: