Saturday, March 14, 2015

I am an average Indian fan
when it comes to cricket

when is the match
between whom and whom
where is that to happen
what would be the team like
and who would likely be taking this trophy

what's their record
at home and away
heads to heads, and
tails to tails

heads or tails
who calls first, and
who won the toss
bat or bowl
bad or beautiful
all stats starts rolling out
and all analysis done before
in the minds of an average Indian fan
just like me
even before the players
themselves think

(and when the cricket fever is just around the corner
just thought of penning this one for all those Indian fans,
and
when I said fever, I recollect
I really fell sick with fever for the past three days
Oh! what a coincidence,
when cricket was played around a corner of this world - in Aus & NZ)

I still remember the B&H 1992 world cup
that was played in Aus & NZ
when I was doing my schooling then

those days
the TVs had only 10 channels
as factory settings
and nothing much more than that

and even then
there was only one
like a dawn, the DD
which did do a live relay

there was no star sports now
I learn that even star sports has many versions
star sports 1, 2, 3, 4 and so on...now
such was our situation then
but we still loved it

there was no cricinfo then
where you clickinfo
as you like, now and then

our only cricinfo was by then
through a knockinfo
that would mean
knowing the score by
knocking the door of my friend
when even we weren't having a telephone
to call and ask
what's the score?

by the way,
knockinfo mostly worked successfully
as we used to get the score of knocks made by the batsman,
but sometimes
it even did have its side effects
when we used to get knocks on our heads as wickets
for the knocks made on their doors
by my friend's fathers, who were wickeds

and even my father was not an exception
the first one to deny me watching and playing cricket matches
and his curse had anyway proved to be true

"you'll fall short of marks in your IIT exams,
and that'll be because of you playing and watching these useless
matches, you'll not understand now, but certainly later"
and that was the curse
the curse for my lifetime
and when he said
he should have really meant it
I wasn't able to understand then

the curse succeeded
the facts proved that his words were in fact true
as the curse became true now

I failed
and I became false
before him
my head got down
my shoulders drooped

I had only one option then
to leave my love for cricket
for the next 5-6 years and
concentrate on my studies

took my father's words as
words that were to be written on gold
spent my college days
without wasting a second

went on to top my college
did higher studies
got a decent job

restored my interest back in cricket
and now I watch matches
along with my father
who is more than happy to see me successful

his curse for me
at that point of time
made me understand
the importance of
prioritising things in life

certainly cricket at that time
when I was a student
should not have been my priority
and I shouldn't have spent most of my time
playing and watching
I still rue that

but no worries
a happy end
to the story
and
to my career as well

my old love for cricket didn't die
it still is
someone ever said, old love never dies
he said it
and I feel it
my love for cricket...

To all those Dear teenagers who are getting cursed by their fathers for watching and playing cricket before their exams, just how I was once by my father:

My father's curse had rather improved my life
and for that matter
I now understand that
none of our father's curse would ruin our life

rather it would only allow us to succeed
if we listen to them
and understand their real meaning

if we deeply think
there can be no one else
than our parents who are more interested
in creating a better future for us

respecting them would
get us an opportunity
to lead a respectable career and life too.
                                           
Yours sincerely
Ariv.

No comments: